Thursday 16 January 2014

My first Quilt...

My friend Lizzie and I recently started a quilting course at Studio 39 in Baldock! It's been so lovely to spend every other Saturday in such a lovely environment and playing with my birthday present! 



With Lizzie and Joe expecting their first baby in March and Henry and I getting married in April we are having to take a little break soon but we wanted to make something from start to finish before we did! We went for a playmat so it'd be really useful for Lizzie and great practice for the quilt I want to make after our wedding! 

Quilting, like knitting is a labour of love, it takes hours with all the cutting and piecing and finally the actual quilting... And there is a lot more maths involved that you would think! 

We had a great time working out our first pattern together over tea and chocolate and spreading out over Lizzie's lovely living room with Alfie the cat! 

Half square triangles caused us quite a few problems as the instructions in the book weren't very clear, but apart from a slightly shrunken middle star, you wouldn't really be able to tell... I'm still impressed we managed the maths to fix the problem!! 

So here it is, my first ever quilting project - it's definitely not perfect but I totally love it and am looking forward to my next one... 







No comments:

Post a Comment